Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Cheerleading uniforms

Looking back to what cheerleading uniforms used to look like and what they look like today, things have changed alot. In the 20th century uniforms were long over the knee skirts, a cardigan sweatshirt and canvas sneakers. The school symbol was sewn onto the clothing. In the 60's the skirt was cut almost in half and made out of cotton, they wore crew neck sweatshirts and sometimes added the logo on the neck or front of the shirts. These days girls are asked to wear tight, form fitting tops that show their middriff and skirts that aren't even fingertip length. I understand the uniforms being fairly tight for safety reasons, but showing the stomach and being so short when a girl is to bend over her spankies will show? That I don't understand.

2 comments:

  1. I totally agree. Cheerleading is becoming too concerned with looks and body image, that they are losing the point of the whole sport. It is supposed to be about team spirit and athleticism, not about girls practically in bikinis shaking their asses. When did sex appeal overtake this? I was a college cheerleader right out of high school, and was the only one on the squad that refused to wear the middriff uniforms. Not because I was self-conscious or not in shape, but mainly because I thought it was tacky and unnecessary. I almost lost my spot on the squad, until i spoke with the athletic director of the university and stated my case. I stopped cheering after that year, because it wasn't the same kind of cheerleading I once loved so much. Also look at the difference between competitive cheerleading versus Cheerleaders (aka dancers in bikinis) of the NFL?NBA. Very Interesting topic :o)

    oh and also, I watched this show last night called "The World of Jenks" that was about a professional dancer who became a cheerleader for the tenn. titans. you might find it interesting. here is the link to check it out:

    http://www.mtv.com/shows/world_of_jenks/series.jhtml

    it's episode 9: "Hail Mary"

    enjoy :o)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally agree that women are being exploited to show off their bodies, and yet why do they allow it. Are there not any modest women that will stand up and say NO! Good for you for standing your ground!

    ReplyDelete